Friday, September 14, 2007

Day Thirteen - Tying the Knot


Yeah, I know, Kristin and I tied the knot a long time ago.

Literally.

Because the jeweler messed up the ring order we didn't have rings when we went to see the Justice of the Peace that morning. In fact, we'd been under the impression that all we'd be doing with the JOP was signing papers and I dunno, raising our right hands or something. In retrospect, that's a little silly, but my mind was on the later ceremony we were planning that same day for family and friends at which my cousin Chris was officiating. (Incidentally, the upshot of that is that I was legally bound in matrimony with my cousin's wedding band, and Kristin with her engagement ring, but I digress).

On the way from the JOP to the wedding, we received a call from the jeweler, the rings had arrived, and we could pick them up on the way!! Swell, except we hadn't written a ring-exchange into the ceremony Chris and I worked out. In it's place we had a whole handfasting/knot tying with tartan thing. And that's what we did! The pictures after the fact of us putting the rings on, posing for the camera was the actual ring exchange! If you look hard enough at the earlier wedding pictures and group/family photos you can see her wedding ring on my pinky finger! Too much fun.

Anyway, next Saturday, I will be winging my way across the country to Missouri to visit my parents. As most of you know by now, my dad is ill and I want to see him... and hug him... and talk to him and stuff. My nephew and my mom's birthdays too will be celebrated and the family will be together, which is going to be wonderful. I didn't think I was going to get to do that this year. Two weeks later, Kristin's vacation time from work will kick in and she'll fly out and join us.

The day she arrives in Kansas City, I have made plans to spend a day together at the Kansas City Renaissance Festival. After that much time apart and with everything going on, some time alone together will be just the ticket. It is doubly apropos inasmuch as that is KC Renfest's 'Pirate Weekend' so I'll get to wear my pirate outfit after all! (It's strange how things work out sometimes...)

This is all a long way to go to explain the picture above, but you've stuck with me, and I'm happy you did. The above knot, tied around my favorite crockery jug is called a 'Turk's Head' knot. Back in the day I used to be quite a rope-guy... a mountain climber, get your mind out of the gutter. Anyway, this knot is mostly decorative and I'm making it as practice for a rather piratey bracelet for my beloved wife to wear to the festival and while I'm gone. Tying the knot... one more time.

No comments: